Dennis M. Donovan, PhD
Director, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute
University of Washington
Dennis Daley, PhD
Chief, Addiction Medicine Services
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
The primary objective of this protocol is to evaluate the degree to which a combined group and individual 12-Step facilitative intervention, Stimulant Abuser Groups to Engage in 12 -Step (STAGE-12), improves substance -related outcomes compared to treatment as usual (TAU) without STAGE-12 among stimulant abusers. For this protocol, STAGE-12 will be integrated into treatment as usual. The primary objective is to evaluate reduction in percent of days of stimulant use as measured by self-report. This is a randomized, 2-group design comparing STAGE-12 integrated into TAU (STAGE-12 /TAU) to TAU without STAGE-12 for stimulant abusers receiving formal substance abuse treatment in participating community-based treatment programs (CTP). A total of approximately 450 stimulant users seeking formal treatment, recruited from 10 CTPS, will be randomized.
Findings were mixed with respect to the impact of integrating the STAGE-12 intervention into intensive outpatient drug treatment compared with treatment as usual on stimulant drug use. However, the results more clearly indicate that individuals in STAGE-12 had higher rates of 12-step meeting attendance and were engaged in more related activities throughout both the active treatment phase and the entire 6-month follow-up period than did those in treatment as usual.
Primary Outcomes Article: Donovan DM, et al. Stimulant Abuser Groups to Engage in 12-Step (STAGE-12): A Multisite Trial in the National Institute on Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2012;44(1):103-114. [get article]
- CTN-0031-A-1: Stimulant Abuser Groups to Engage in 12-Step (STAGE-12): Ancillary Investigation
- CTN-0031-A-2: The Role of Alcohol Consumption in Classifications of Alcohol Use Disorders: A Clinical Study
- CTN-0031-A-3: Organizational Characteristics that Influence the Adoption of Evidence-Based Practices
- CTN-0031 Study Protocol
- Publications in the Library about CTN-0031
- Study data from NIDA Data Share
- Study Manual: Baker S, et al. STAGE-12: Stimulant Abuser Groups to Engage in 12-Step Programs: A Combined Group and Individual Treatment Program, v.3.0. Manual developed for National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network protocol CTN-0031, April 2009, 139 p.
- ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT00573183)
- NIDA protocol page
All Participating Nodes: